Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Whom have I in Heaven but You?

"Whom have I in heaven but you?  And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you.” (Psalm 73:25) George Swinnock’s thoughtful comment gives expression to the profound implications of this verse, “A Christian in his saddest condition can enjoy God as his portion.  You, who have chosen the world for your portion, have you not read what a perishing portion it is?  I offer you today a portion worthy of your choicest affection, a portion that, if you accept it, the richest emperor in the world would be a beggar to you.  It is a portion that contains more wealth than heaven and earth.”  If this is true, why do people still choose the world for their portion?  Because they are blind to the glory and true worth of God.  Jesus made the same offer to the woman at the well in Samaria.  It was her ignorance of who Jesus was and what He offered her, that kept her from desiring His gift of “living water” (John 4:10).  Swinnock sums up the permanence of the Christian’s inheritance when he says, “Death parts all other portions from the sons of men, but gives you your full portion.  Then you will know your portion’s true worth.  When fire burns up the world it will not even singe your potion.  You may stand upon the ruins of the world and sing: I have lost nothing.  I have my inheritance, my happiness, and my God still.”        

No comments: