Saturday, May 22, 2010

Great is Thy faithfulness

“The Lord is my portion; I have promised to keep Your words” Psalm 119:57).  To say that God is your portion is to lay claim to God Himself. What inferences can we to draw from the truth concerning the relationship between Almighty God and the sincere Christian?  We can learn a great deal from Lamentations 3:21-25. This passage is a marvelous expression of what it means: “This I recall to my mind, therefore I have hope.  The Lord’s lovingkindnesses indeed never cease, for His compassions never fail.  They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness.  ‘The Lord is my portion,” says my soul, ‘therefore I have hope in Him.’  The Lord is good to those who wait for Him, to the person who seeks Him.”  Consider what we see here.  Remembering that God is our portion, the source of everything we need, inspires hope (verses 21 and 24).  What we call to mind, is that God’s merciful love for us never changes (verses 22 and 23).  Here we have the essence of what Scripture means when it says, “God is our portion.”  Knowing that God is good to those who trust Him motivates us to seek Him (verse 25).  We learn here that God’s faithfulness to us not only establishes a solid foundation for our encouragement, but also establishes our duty.  Notice that the psalmist’s response is a firm promise and resolve to obey God’s words (Psalm 119:57).  Thomas Manton states the truth clearly and succinctly, “Those who have chosen God for their portion will manifest it by a fixed resolution and strict care of obedience.”  

No comments: