Thursday, February 25, 2010

Learning from the Best

I was looking over all the daily meditations I have written since I started this Blog in late September, 2009.  By God’s grace I have not missed a day in those four months.  Considering all that I have to deal with because of my health, it is a tribute to God’s merciful kindness.  Looking back over what I have written, I am impressed by the fact that just one Puritan teacher, Thomas Manton, has been almost the sole influence during that time.  I have been especially blessed by his classic three volume study of Psalm 119, as well as his sermons on the Epistle of James.  The great London preacher, Charles H. Spurgeon, really loved Manton’s sermons on Psalm 119.  I consider Manton’s books to be the equal of John Owen’s writings, which is saying a lot.  There are no Christian writings in the history of the church more edifying and of a greater sustained excellence than those of the Puritans, of which Manton and Owen are stars in the heavens.  If you are going to study the things of God, learn from the best.  What a mercy it is that we have available to us such an abundance of the best writings and sermons from these godly men! 

No comments: