Thursday, February 11, 2010

Delight or Perish

Last night was an especially difficult one for me.  I was awake half the night in great pain.  These are the times when we discover the real strength of our faith.  When all other supports and comforts are gone, and the only thing you have to cling to are the promises of God, genuine faith will still be able to rejoice.  If you have faithfully nourished your spiritual life by reading the Bible daily, the Spirit of God will bring to your mind specific promises that apply to your circumstances.  But if you have neglected God’s word in the easy times, there will be nothing in your heart to sustain you in times of adversity.  The mark of sincere faith is that it doesn’t collapse when tested.  God’s word, without anything else, will always be sufficient to keep us from losing heart.  One particular verse was especially encouraging to me last night: “If Your law had not been my delight, then I would have perished in my affliction.” (Psalm 119:92)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So sorry, Mike! But glad you were sustained and comforted in your affliction by God's Word. Appreciate the truth of what you wrote.