Saturday, January 2, 2010

Prayers that Instruct and Encourage

Prayers that Instruct and Encourage

Below are a few lines from a Puritan prayer.  The Puritans had such a reverent and profound knowledge of Scripture that their prayers are tremendously instructive and encouraging.  But many Christians today have a strong prejudice against any form of prayer.  Many associate forms with insincerity, and fear they will degenerate into sterile formality.  That can happen, but today the far greater problem is  the lack of any structure, discipline, or aid to motivate prayer.  I can only say that I pray through a Puritan prayer (from The Valley of Vision) every morning, and far from having a deadening effect, they have proved to be a great source of fuel to fan the flames of spiritual life.  These Puritan prayers are very God-centered and  help free us from self-centeredness in prayer.

 

My God, You are all  my good in times of peace, my only support in days of trouble, my one sufficiency when life shall end.

Help me to see how good Your will is in all,and even when it crosses mine teach me to be pleased with it.  Grant me to feel You in fire, and food and every providence.

If it be consistent with Your eternal counsels, the purpose of Your grace, and the great ends of Your glory, then bestow upon me the blessings of Your comforts; if not, let me resign myself to Your wiser determinations.

  

No comments: