Saturday, June 12, 2010

Always in His Presence

“I have set the Lord always before me; because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken” (Psalm 16:8).  In this psalm, David is telling us how he faces the future.  We can learn a great deal from the life of David.  Here he tells us one of the things that kept him going in the midst of great trouble.  Whatever comes into his life, he “shall not be shaken.”  David is prepared for whatever happens because he had “set the Lord always before him.”  This is a determination to live life in the conscious presence of God.  This is the supreme object of David’s life.  His unshakable conviction that God was always with him was the result of a process of reasoning.  This is how to be prepared for whatever may occur.  Martyn Lloyd-Jones inspired these thoughts and tomorrow’s as well.  I consider Lloyd-Jones the greatest preacher of the 20th century.  I have read many of his books, almost all of which came from sermons, and they have never failed to inspire and edify.     

No comments: