Saturday, March 13, 2010

Our Eternal Inheritance

Your testimonies are my heritage forever, for they are the joy of my heart”  (Psalm 119:111).  I have been reading Thomas Manton’s marvelous sermons on Psalm 119.  Again and again, Manton has given me a more thorough understanding and a deeper appreciation for the truths revealed in this psalm.  In verse after verse, he has led me to a gold mine.  For example, I have never had such a rich understanding of verse 111 before I read Manton’s sermon on it.  To have God’s testimonies as our inheritance is to value them as our permanent possession because of our relationship to God; it is to esteem them as the source of our happiness.  God’s testimonies are to the Christian what lands and estates are in the world.  An inheritance is a person’s wealth and treasure.  The inheritance of believers is the ground of their future hopes, and the divine storehouse from which they receive all that is needed.  In the world, people inherit houses, lands and all manner of material possessions.  The Christian can say, “The God who created heaven and earth is my God!  He is my inheritance.”  All of the riches and honors of the world are poor things compared to what is in store for the most humble believer. 

No comments: